4.13.2005

Matantei Loki Ragnarok Episode 1



Mayura is a strange girl that loves a "fushigi mystery" (mysterious mystery...) and comes across a doll with an evil spirit in it. As scary as the doll is (it talks and laughs very creepily "ufufufufufuu"), she thinks it will make her famous and takes her home! However, a cat that was at the clocktower she took it from comes and drags it away right in front of her. As she is chasing the doll down she comes across a strange house called the "Enjaku Detective Agency". She decides to ask the detective for advice on the doll and sees a handsome guy standing outside and assumes it's the detective. He brings her inside the very creepy house and takes her to the real detective, Loki, who looks like a 10 year-old boy! When she comments on this, he has Yamino, his "servant", kick her out. She keeps going after the doll, and Loki decides to follow her because he has strange vibes about the whole thing as well.

At the clock tower, Mayura goes up and finds the doll again, and this time it is very angry. An old woman (that just happens to vome there) tells Loki that the house burnt down 20 years ago and the young girl that lived there died in the blaze, leaving her doll behind. Loki realizes that a vengeful spirit has entered the doll because the doll felt it was abandoned by the girl. He puts a bracelet on Mayura (that was the little girl's) that he borrowed from the old woman and her spirit possesses Mayura and she is able to comfort the doll, making the evil spirit leave.

Mayura is at Loki's later and claims that she is now part of the detective agency so that she can discover more fushigi mysteries!

---

Okay, you may be wondering why I'm blogging a series that's a couple years old, but it's mostly because I wanted to! I just bought the first volume of the Loki manga and it got me in the mood to watch it again (yes this is my second viewing of the series). Another reason is... this is my blog and I can do what I want! I mean... cause I don't have many other series I'm blogging at the moment and I thought this would fill some time (plus it makes for some pretty screen caps!).

This manga was done by the same author of Tactics, Sakura Kinoshita. I'm also pretty sure that it's the same animator, director, etc as Tactics as well, so it has a very similar feel to it. However, I'm a lot more partial to the plot and characters in Loki than in Tactics for some reason... Also, Loki has a base in Norse Mythology and I'm a huuuuge sucker for that kind of stuff.

This anime is also licensed by ADV and will probably be released on DVD fairly soon. Therefore, I am basically promoting the DVD's and will not answer any questions about where to get the fansubs (If you're wondering, I got them before they were licensed and saved them on CD's =P).


Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5

3 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Blogger Stripey said...

Gosh, your second viewing.. :) Actually I loved the character designs (Skuld, Mayura and teenage Loki were very nicely done indeed) but I was a tad disappointed with the non-closure in the finale. Nevertheless it was a rather enjoyable ride. :)

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Hostile said...

Bringing out the old school.

I thought it was an enjoyable watch when I first saw it. Needed a better ending, though.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Jeni said...

yah, i agree that the ending left something to be desired. Maybe I should just stop watching halfway thru this time? =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home